We are thrilled to announce our second book by Hazel Edwards OAM, titled 'Issues: A Resource of Play Scripts and Activities for Teachers' is due to publish in August 2023.
Following the success of her recent book, Grief and Loss in Schools, which supports teachers and schools by providing discussion topics, play scripts and engaging activities to allow students to work through thoughts and feelings they may be having, we are publishing this complementary teacher resource.
Educator-author Hazel Edwards has written books for children, teachers and adults. Her best-known publication is the children’s picture book classic There’s a Hippopotamus on Our Roof Eating Cake (1980). She has published over 220 books across genres and subjects.
Issues gives middle school and secondary school students a chance to discuss contemporary problems and matters during the classroom rehearsal and performance of these scripts. There are enough parts for all the class to participate, and discussion prompts and activities are provided to extend and deepen classroom discussion.
- Wrong Rhymes – A script about inclusion
- Inside Outside In – An audio play about anorexia nervosa
- The Umbrella Trees with Weak Knees – A conservation spoof
- She's Not Here Any More – A script about the death of a classmate
- The Galactic Gossipmongers – A futuristic look at peer group pressure and highly contagious disease
- Putting It On – A script about haemophilia
- The House of X – A script about prejudice
- Colours – A script with a colourful approach to prejudice
- The Parts of Speech TV Show – A script about finding the right words in difficult situations
- Sleuth Astrid the Mind Reading Chook – A simple satire with complex ideas for gifted students
Pre-order your copy today from the Press here. Available through our resellers soon!